Friday, August 22, 2008

The Sounds of Life

One of the activities I like to do with my boys is to have them close their eyes and identify the sounds they hear. According to some parenting books it's supposed to heighten their sensory or something like that. I'd say it's a good way to have them be quiet for a few moments.

So one day I tried the exercise myself. I heard the washing machine, dishwasher, the CD player cranking up music so loud I bet the neighbors from 3 blocks away can hear it, the boys banging (I mean drumming) the life out of any surface with any object remotely shaped like a stick, while belting out a medley of tunes at the top of their lungs.

Those are the sounds of home, of life. And what a blessed life this is. Even though we'll probably all go deaf within 5 years.

No comments: