Saturday, December 25, 2010

Giver of Music

It's Christmas day and gifts galore. As I reminded my boys to write thank you cards, I found out I need to examine my own thankfulness as well.

Since my "obsession du jour" has been piano playing and classical music, I realize I haven't been thankful to God for my ability to both play and enjoy. I have been constantly coveting the technique, musicality and even the big hands of various concert pianists. And don't get me started on child prodigies!

Granted, my talent has nothing worth bragging about, but what a gift it is to be able to make music on a beautiful instrument. From the interpretations of virtuoso pianists like Richter, Argerich, Horowitz, Kempff and more recently, Kempf, I get to appreciate Bach's earnestness, Beethoven's fiery passion and Chopin's poetic sensitivity, (Thank you YouTube!)

So I'll never be a concert pianist. But even if I'll never be able to play Rachmaninoff's fat chords, Chopin's Etudes in the speed of lightning, or even finish playing the 1st Movement of Pathétique without my left hand falling off, (those pesky tremolos!) I'm tremendously and undeservingly blessed with the beauty of music in my life.

And do I need to be reminded, on Christmas day, that the greatest gift we have is Jesus who was born unto us, to live a perfect life to cloak us with His righteousness, and to die to paid the penalty of our sins? Actually, I do.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" Isaiah 9:6

No comments: