Sunday, December 23, 2007

Global Warming and God's Will

In previous post I wrote about Greg Craven's series of videos on global climate change, and I found one of them is called "God's Will". In it he tries to tackle the viewpoint of global warming is God's will, therefore we're powerless to stop it. He gave an illustration of how we would take the matter into our own hands if the scale of pollution is small, and challenged us to think where should the line be drawn between human's doing versus God's doing as the scale gets bigger.

Craven handled this viewpoint respectfully. However, he made some unmentioned assumptions:

1. He presented those who believe global warming is God's will thinks since there's nothing we can do about it, hence we don't need to do anything.
Maybe some people do think this way. However, just because it's God's will doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything about it. It's like saying it's God's will for my roof to leak, therefore I shouldn't go fix it. It's God's will for the crops to grow, but we still have to water and fertilize them. God regular carries out His will using us as His tool.

2. That if the size of the problem is small it's all men's doing.
God has EVERYTHING to do with EVERYTHING. If I did good on an exam, it is because I studied hard. But God is the one that deal with all my brain cells that remember what I read, and deal with how my eyes see and transmit the information to my brain. He kept my heart beating and alive so I can study. He didn't put me in an accident on the way to the exam. And the list goes on and on.

In summary, I think nothing falls outside of God's will, but we should still take actions as God can work through us.

No comments: