Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Death of Saddam

I know this is old news, but there're thoughts that I need to get out of my system.

The death of Saddam. Does he deserve it? I'm pretty sure. Is it going to make a difference in the development of peace and democracy in Iraq and other Middle East countries? Probably not, at least not in the near future.

So what does this accomplish? For one thing, he needs to pay his penalty for his order of torturing and killing of thousands of people. Is his penalty fits the crime? Well, his death is probably less painful than many of his victims, however, I don't think the justice system should get down to his level.

There're people in the world that rejoice in his execution. I'm not one of them. I think his life is a tragedy. And for people who filmed, posted, and watched his execution, what you did make me sick.

I'm sad by the whole thing. I'm sad by what Saddam has done. I'm sad for the people and countries that he so ruthlessly destroyed. I'm sad that there are so much darkness in his life. I'm sad for a life that lives constantly under fear for betrayal. I'm sad for a life that is defined by insatiable appetite for absolute power and hate. I'm sad for the fact that real evil exists in this world. I'm fearful for him for what God's wrath has installed for him.

I wonder if he ever truly loved someone more than he loved power. I wonder if he was born in a different family, or if he has a different life circumstances if he'd be different. I wonder if anyone of us was put in his situation, if we'd turn out the same as he did.

I know "sin" is the correct, but very general answer of why he did what he did. But I'm eager to search for some other answers so that I can believe there's good even in a person like Saddam. I wonder what God's purpose for him was, and how does that going to fit in the whole picture of the human history.

With these thoughts written, my mind is now a little less crowded. A few more adoring looks at my sleeping sweet baby boy and I'll be back to my usual cheerful mood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I see the death of Saddam, I am reminded of God's Justice and vindication on sin and evil in the world. This is encouraging to me that there is a righteous judge over all evil.