Thursday, April 26, 2007

Scary Rhymes

I'm surprised by how many popular nursery rhymes and songs have questionable content. The obvious one is the nightmare inducing Rock-a-Bye Baby:

Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
And down will come baby, cradle and all

Then we have Hush Little Baby, perfect for raising materialistic children:

Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's going to buy you a mockingbird.
And if that mockingbird don't sing,
Mama's going to buy you a diamond ring.

To teach baby boys how to treat their future wife, we have Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater:

Peter Peter pumpkin eater,
Had a wife and couldn't keep her!
He put her in a pumpkin shell,
And there he kept her very well!

While I doubt reading or singing the above rhymes to babies will damage them mentally nor emotionally, I'm not taking any chances. I'm sticking with Wheels on the Bus, it's my son's favorite anyway. Although it might damage me mentally if I have to continue singing it 50 times a day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I really dislike "Rudolf the Red nose reindeer". I don't like the idea that once someone (Rudolf) is in power (after Santa Claus asked him to guide his sleigh), "then all of the reindeers love him". I am not saying that you should continue to make fun of Rudolf, but things just change so suddenly. It is so hypocritical and wrong. I know it is just a tune but it still bugs me at times. Am I overreacting? ~Agnes